We will be looking into this very question so that you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about getting that job done to your satisfaction.
In this article we cover the following key points or questions:
- Key things to ask at your first enquiry
- How much does it cost to hire an electrician in Bundaberg?
- What type of jobs can an electrician provide?
- How much do electricians charge for different jobs?
Key things to ask at your first enquiry
These are some of the things that it is good to check up on before hiring an electrician:
- What is the range and type of services you provide
- Can you provide me with a written quote
- Do you have valid insurance cover, what does it cover and to what level of cover
- How long will my job take and by what date will it be finished
- Do you have references that I can follow up on
- Do you hold an electrical contractors licence with the appropriate authority which is Worksafe.qld.gov.au
Factors that may influence final costs
Before engaging a Bundaberg electrician it is also worthwhile to be aware that final cost can be affected by factors some of which might be:
- The location of the worksite keeping in mind the travelling distance to the job
- Ease of access to the worksite and the need for coordination with other trades if appropriate
- The complexity and size of the job
- Is the job a new one, refit or maintenance
- Does a call out fee apply or an after-hours emergency call out fee (if so these can amount to $100.00 or more)
- Parts, fittings and cabling or other consumables used in the job
How much does it cost to hire an electrician?
An average hourly charge in Australia for electrical work would usually work out to $70 - $120 per hour. This of course can fluctuate depending on the quality of the work done. If you want a top-quality job then paying a little more for such an important service makes good sense. In particular, don’t try a DIY with electricity as the outcome can be life-ending. It is better to pay a professional electrician and ensure that you and your family are safe.
What type of jobs can an electrician provide?
Typical Residential electrical work might include:
- Smoke alarms
- Air Conditioning- Ducted and Split systems or ceiling cassette units
Important: Though electricians can install air conditioning systems we strongly recommend using qualified refrigeration mechanics as this makes any warranty or refrigerant issues in the future a lot easier to rectify as qualified refrigeration mechanics are licensed to repair air conditioning units not just install.
- Ceiling fans
- Home automation
- Home entertainment systems
- Security lighting, alarms or security systems
- Indoor lighting installation including LED, outdoor and garden lighting.
- Dimmer switches are also available in a wide range of designs suitable for your home.
- Solar systems
- Data cabling, USB and smart home connectivity
- Powerpoints, surge protectors, switchboards & safety switches
- New house wiring or rewiring of existing premises or home renovations
- Hot water system installation and heating systems
- New ovens & cooktops and exhaust fan installation
- And lots more
How much do electricians charge for different jobs?
In the below list we look at an outline of some typical electrical jobs and rough costs for those jobs. This is a guide but should help set some expectations around fees to budget for.
Installation of lighting costs
Key things that can impact fees:
- This depends upon the type and quality of lighting you want to be installed
- Whether the lighting is to be indoor or outdoor
- Access to the ceiling cavity if needed or other feed wiring where appropriate
- Ease of access to the site and to appropriate wiring routes
Average fees: It can cost from $80 per light interior or $100 per light exterior dependant upon the points above
Installation of a new electrical outlet
- Typically ranges from $130 to $180, price including fittings and labour usually
- Some electricians charge a flat rate for each electrical outlet which might be around $80 to $180 per outlet
Installation of wiring and fittings in a new home
Key things that will vary costs, such as:
- The size of the home
- The number of electricians needed for the job
- The cost of the cables, fittings and other materials needed
- Ease of access to the wiring routes
- The electricians' hourly rates
- Switchboard costs
Average fees: As a result of those factors a new home can be anywhere between $3500 to $10,000 for an average 100 - 250 sq. mtr
Installation of ceiling fan
Average Fees: Generally speaking an average price can be between $200 to $400 depending on whether it is a new installation and lighting is included. It usually takes 1 - 2 hours
Typical commercial electrical work and fees
- Commercial refrigeration
- Instrument calibration and servicing
- General commercial maintenance
- 3 phase power installation
- Test and tag of all electrical equipment
Average fees: Commercial Electrical work done by a Bundaberg electrician can range from $95 to $120 per hour or a quote on a specific job as a set price. A commercial electrical job may also vary as a result of the factors that can influence the final costs which we mentioned above.
So where to now for your electrical needs
You now know average fees and the type of work that a Bundaberg electrician can provide, so it's time to reach out to a qualified electrician who will be up to the job of maintaining high standards and providing great customer service. While cost is always a factor it’s important for you to feel confident that the electrical work done in your home is at the highest standard for your family’s safety and your own peace of mind. Finally, if you are ready to get some residential electrical work or commercial electrical work contact us for a free quote or any advice.